Before the Quarter Starts:
Student accounts in Canvas are created automatically, based on registration. If you have never enrolled in a course that uses Canvas at South, you will not be able to log into Canvas at South.
If it is more than two weeks before the start of the quarter, you will not be able to access your courses at South. Refer to the Seattle Colleges Calendar for start dates for the quarter.
Your instructor will decide whether or not your courses will be available to you in Canvas before the start date of the quarter. Check your All Courses list.
- If your instructor has made the course available, you will find it in the Current Enrollments section of the list.
- If your instructor has not made the course available yet, you will see it in the Future Enrollments section of the list.
Check with your instructor if you have questions about when your course will be available.
- Navigate to http://canvas.southseattle.edu or http://southseattle.instructure.com
- In the first box, type in your nine-digit student identification number (SID)
- In the second box, type in the first eight letters of your last name*, all lower case, no punctuation or spaces. If your last name is shorter than eight letters, repeat the letters of your last name until you reach eight.
Your last name will be whatever has been entered into the college registration system as your last name.
- Sam Waterston = watersto
- Jill Whit-Smith = whitsmit
- Mildred Sing Song = singsong
- Pete Quy = quyquyqu
- Lang Fa = fafafafa
*NOTE: If your password was set before Winter Quarter 2017, your initial password will be the first six letters of your last name. If your account was created on or after Winter 2017, your initial password will be eight characters. If you changed your password after the start of Winter Quarter 2017, your password will be a minimum of eight characters.
Once you have logged into Canvas, make sure that your email address is up to date. Note that this will only change your email address in Canvas.
If you also need to change your email address with registration, go here to update your registration profile.
Change your password to something more secure than the first eight letters of your last name.
If you are still having problems:
Please contact the eLearning office for additional help. You can request help by clicking the "Request Help" link on this page, or by using any of the other methods listed under that link.